The Mexico Board of Education met in executive session on Feb. 19 to discuss the re-hiring of district personnel and staff. Of the 14 personnel and staff voted on, 13 were offered new contracts for the 2013-2014 school year.
According to minutes from the Feb. 19 Executive Session, Board President Dr. Peter Perll made the motion to rehire Hart Career Center Director Dr. Mickie Shank, and the motion failed 3-4-0 on a roll call vote.
Board members in favor of Shank's rehire were: Beverly Borgeson, Robby Miller and Dr. Perll. Those against were: Pat Maguire, Beverly MacFarlane, Dr. Elwood Rice and Dustin Pascoe.
Following is the list of personnel and staff approved for re-hire. All received unanimous votes:
• Dr. Terry Robinson (Mexico High School principal)
• Tony Chance (district business manager)
• Ed Costley (Mexico Middle School assistant principal)
• Jeff Anderson (Mexico High School athletic director)
• Brad Ellebracht (MHS assistant principal)
• Jenn Kraft (director of technology)
• Curt Jackson (transportation director)
• Chris Denham (director of student services – Mexico Education Center and Early Childhood Center)
• Mitch Ridgway (director of transportation)
• Deb Haag (Mexico Middle School principal)
• Holly Pashia (Hawthorne Elementary principal)
• Christine Harper (Eugene Field principal)
• Dr. Kerri Criner (McMillan Elementary principal)
Dr. Perll made the motion to adjourn the meeting and Maguire seconded the motion that carried 7-0-0.
The executive session adjourned at 10:58 p.m.
School meal prices set to increase
Lunch and breakfast prices at Mexico Public Schools will increase next school year. The new costs were presented at the Feb. 19 Board of Education meeting, reflecting slight increases on breakfast and lunch costs.
The district's finance department presented the potential increases. The cost increase stems from a 2011 federal requirement for schools to gradually increase their lunch prices due to the Equity in School Lunch Pricing provision of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.
For 2013-2014, the USDA is requiring prices be adjusted up 4.93 percent rounded down to the nearest five cents.
This adjustment will continue to be calculated every year (School Food Service will provide the percentage required annually). The goal is for the charge for a full-price meal to be at least the difference between the federal reimbursement for a free meal and the federal reimbursement for a full price meal. Currently those prices are: $2.88 (free) - .29 (full) = $2.59 (difference).
Mexico School District meal pricing for the 2013-2014 school year will be as follows:
• Elementary schools
2012-13 full-price is $1.85
Calculations for the new proposal: ($1.85 x 4.93% = 0.0912 rounded down to the nearest 5 cents is a $0.05 increase or $1.90 per meal.)
Page 2 of 2 - • High School and middle school
Full price student lunch, 2012-13 full-price is $2.20.
Calculations for the new proposal: ($2.20 x 4.93% = 0.0912 rounded down to the nearest 5 cents is a $0.10 increase or $2.20 per meal.)
• High school, middle school and elementary schools student breakfast
For the 2013-14 school year is $1.30.
A price history for the district shows the elementary, middle and high school student lunch prices in the 2005-2006 school year were $1.50, $1.75 and $1 for breakfast respectively. The board approved the increases with a 7-0 vote.