See video in local videos section of this website
The City of Mexico is hosting "Clean It Up & Green It Up Day" on Saturday, April 20, in an effort to beautify the city and improve the quality of life through community involvement initiatives. Residents are encouraged to keep their areas clean and green.
This community-wide cleanup effort is not the city's regular annual Spring Clean-up. That service will be offered on separate weekends in April. "Clean It Up & Green It Up Day" is a community commitment to the environment.
"The city is in the process of updating its Comprehensive Plan and have had envisions and held public meetings, and what we keep hearing residents say is that they would like to see us beautify the city more in certain areas. There has also been talk about trash and debris seen around town, and we want to try and address these concerns," said Community Development Director Rita Jackson. "This is the first year we have done 'Clean It Up & Green It Up Day,' but we want to try to keep the program going to help keep our city clean."
Following is a list of programs, services and collection sites that will be open and available on April 20 to assist residents in their cleanup efforts:
• Adopt-A-Street Program: Supplies can be picked up at Hardin Park from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. This program will support beautification, reduction of litter and recycling.
• Braik Brothers Brush and Tree Care: Drop-off located at 1045 S. Kentucky St., from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Handi-Shop Recycle Trailer: Located at Hardin Park, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• E-Waste Collection: $10 for televisions, $5 for computer monitors, copy machines or microwaves. No charge for other electronic waste items. The collection site is located at the Singleton Maintenance Building, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Tire Collection: $1 per car tire (16" or smaller), $5 per truck or tractor tire (over 16"). Tires can be taken to the Singleton Maintenance Building, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Household Hazardous Waste Collection: By appointment only. The Household Hazardous Waste Collection site is located at 201 S. Morris, from 9 a.m.to 3 p.m. no early drop-offs and no businesses.
For more information about the "Clean It Up and Green It Up Day," call Summer Hildebrand at 581-2100, ext. 350.
"Cleanup starts with you! Start with your lawns, mow your grass, and keep your area green," is the message "Clean It Up and Green It Up Day," according to the bulletins promoting the community activity.
Note: Mexico's Annual Spring Cleanup will be held on Saturdays during the month of April. If your regular trash pickup day is Monday and Thursday, your cleanup day will be April 13. If your regular trash day is Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, cleanup day is April 6. Cleanup dates also include appliance pickups. Appliance pickup regulations apply. All items are to be placed at the curb by 6 a.m. on the assigned days. For more information, or to schedule an appliance pickup, call the City of Mexico at 581-2100.