At approximately 4:52 p.m. Sunday, Mexico Public Safety officers and volunteers responded to the 100 block of West Maple in reference to a structure fire.
Responding personnel found flame coming from a bedroom in the home. The fire was contained and extinguished in that room with the bedroom receiving severe fire damage and the rest of the house receiving severe smoke and heat damage.
The fire appeared to have started in the area of an electric fan which was left running while no one was in the home. Two family pets died in the fire but there were no other injuries.