On Sunday at approximately 10:27 p.m., Mexico Public Safety Department responded to the 900 block of Hazel Place in reference to a car fire.

Responding personnel found a 2006 Cadillac with a small fire in the engine compartment. The fire was extinguished before the car suffered significant damage. According to a report from MPSD, it appeared that a short in the electrical system ignited some fluids leaking around the engine. The battery was disconnected to prevent further issues, but when the tow truck operator arrived he had to connect the battery again so that the vehicle’s electronic gear selector would function. Just before loading the car onto the tow truck the fire re-ignited but was extinguished by the tow truck operator prior to MPSD returning to the scene.

There were no injuries from the incident.