Tips for refreshing your home with paint color
(BPT) - For many people, the onset of spring and summer is the ideal time to take on a home improvement project. Paint is a popular choice for those looking to freshen up their space, given that it is an easy, economical activity and a fun way to make a dramatic difference.
In fact, painting tops spring home improvement wish lists, according to the 2012 Spring Home Improvement Survey by the National Association of the Remodeling Industry (NARI). With seven of 10 homeowners planning home improvement projects, nearly half (49 percent) cite painting as the most-desired need. They say that bedrooms and bathrooms are the first targets for fresh paint (both at 29 percent), followed by living or family rooms (28 percent).
To help people jump start spring endeavors with low-cost project ideas and tips, NARI and Sherwin-Williams are launching National Painting Week on April 16. "People are looking for more cost-saving ways to enhance their spaces," says NARI chairman Paul Zuch, certified remodeler. "Some of the most dramatic transformations are projects like resurfacing cabinets or changing kitchen or bathroom hardware, as well as painting the interior or exterior of your home."
With today's technologies at your fingertips, determining the right paint color is easy and anyone can be their own interior decorator.
* Choose colors like a pro using coordinated color collections. "It's easy to achieve designer looks in your own home with HGTV HOME by Sherwin-Williams
," says David Bromstad, HGTV designer. "Each of the collections represents a style to match your own, and features colors that work together in any combination. The wallpaper coordinates with the colors and the exterior color collections highlight your home's architecture to achieve a harmonious look room to room, inside and out."
* See your finished look without picking up a brush with Sherwin-Williams' color visualizer, where you can digitally repaint your space, or get inspired with Chip It! (www.letschipit.com), which instantly turns any online image into a color palette using more than 1,500 colors. With the mobile ColorSnap app, you can turn anything that inspires you into paint colors. Capture an image with your smartphone and you will be able to see the paint color and two complementary colors.
* Liven up your living area by revamping the bedroom, giving new life to an old piece of furniture or staining the deck.
* Define your style. Make a statement combining bolder paint colors with their neutral counterparts.
* Use high-quality materials. Spending a little more at the outset saves money in the long run.
For more tips, visit www.NationalPaintingWeek.com.