At approximately 1:54 p.m., Saturday, January 6, the Mexico Public Safety Department responded to the 900 block of Harwood in reference to heavy smoke coming from a house. Responding personnel found fire in the bathroom and utility room area located in the back of the house. As firefighting operations continued, it became apparent that the fire had spread to the attic and unfinished area of the second floor. The fire was eventually extinguished, but the home and contents were a complete loss.

According to a news release from MPSD, the homeowner was using a portable forced air heater in the crawl space of the home to thaw some pipes and had left the scene for a short amount of time prior to the fire. There were no injuries from the incident.